Wednesday 28 April 2010

WEEK SIXTEEN - PART 2

So in the interest of completeness I need to fill in the gaps before I blog about Marathon Day!

Day 107 Thursday 22nd April 2010

I had planned to go for an early morning gentle solo run. But for some reason I pratted around doing bits and bobs and it wasn’t until Vikki (who was laid up after her knee op) quite forcibly told me to get changed and go that I actually managed to go! I was looking forward to this run but didn’t enjoy it in the way I hoped, I found it hard work even though I wasn’t pushing myself. I was running along with the i-pod on minding my own busy when I jumped as I felt something grabbing my a*$e, I turned quickly to find a large dog had chased me and jumped up to catch me. Although this gave me a bit of a fright I realised the dog was just trying to play and it soon backed off. But for a moment I had visions of having to withdraw from the marathon because of stitches in my a*$e.

Thursday night I delay packing, it’s as if I’m still avoiding the whole thing, at about 9pm I discover that half my kit is still sat rather smelly in the wash basket and rather hurriedly have to put it on to wash, but my machine is one of the newer ones that in the interest of energy efficiency takes nearly two hours to do one wash! But eventually I am able to hang my kit to dry, finish most of my packing and fall in to bed somewhat later than I had planned.

Day 108 Friday 23rd april 2010

I wake up just before the alarm goes off having had a really good night sleep and feel refreshed. I start to get myself ready and faffing about trying to leave the house tidy but that isn’t going to happen. Trevor arrives at about 8.20 with two large Cappuccino, just the thing I need, I sit and chat a while then start faffing about some more getting myself all worked up, double checking that I have my registration form, passport, money, trainers, house keys etc etc, “what about your Train tickets?” Asks Trevor . . . er I look at him blankly, “What about your hotel?” I shake my head, “do you know where your staying yet?” eh yes, I know that one, “a holiday Inn express!” I start the re checking routine again, race registration number, passport. . . . . I then look at the things I have put on one side to take in a hand bag with me on the train. I don’t do hand bags these days and can’t decide which of the old ones I have dug out from the back of my wardrobe to take. I glance at the pile of stuff I want to put in it, fruit, flap jacks, sweets, purse, Start to wonder if I should put my registration number in my handbag rather than my suit case, I am terrified of losing it and not been able to run, Trevor calms me It will be fine in your case, next I bring through 4 bottles of water and look at my handbag and suit case “Kay they do sell water in London you Know!” Trevor reassures me. Eventually I’m done and sit back down to finish my cappuccino, bet you’ve not seen me like this before I remark “What? Organised!” quips Trevor

Trevor being much more punctional than I am gets me to the station in plenty of time to meet Julie and David for our train to London. Once I’m there the first set of nerves disappears.

When we get to London we drop our cases at the hotel and head to the expo I see Tom as I’m stood waiting at a burger bar, feel compelled to tell Tom that I’m not having a burger but a fresh chicken breast in a bun and NO chips! Next, bump into Helen. Collect our numbers, kit bags and timing tag,


Me and David


 now I worry about losing my number and check my bag every five minutes to reassure myself it is there. As it is quieter on the Friday we browse round the Expo, I could have spent a years salary on all the things there but settled for a commemorative T shirt and a hat as hot weather is predicted. I look for some wicking knickers as I always have a problem with chaffing , Now there were loads of shops selling running socks and several selling running bras but I could only find a couple selling specific running knickers, from this I conclude that either my fellow female runners just wear ordinary every day knickers or none at all when running. However I did manage to find two stalls selling specific running knickers, at the first I asked the assistant if they were made from wicking fabric obviously not a runner and not a clue what I was on about when I tried to explain she nodded yes but still looked at me disbelievingly. I wasn’t convinced! The second stall who assured me that there knickers did have wicking properties showed me two different styles, a thong . . er no...a bridget Jones style pant that were bigger than some shorts . . . er no!

I go chat to Helen some more who takes my photo with Martin Yelling.

Me and Martin

After the expo I went back to the hotel and had an afternoon power nap while J&D went to see her niece, then we went out for tea. I opted for steak and chips not something I would normally choose but I just wanted meat! By 10pm I was tucked up in bed with Dr McDreamy (for those that don’t watch that’s nick name for the dishy doctor on Greys Anatomy)


 

Day 109 Saturday 24th April 2010

Me and Wimbeldon Park Run Race Director

In an effort to keep in front with my challenge with Russell to be the first to 50 park runs I wanted to do a park run in London. J&D decided to come with me and we settled on Wimbeldom. We were all up early had a bite to eat for breakfast and then went to the tube station, unfortunately the line we needed was partly closed due to planned maintenance work and we had to have a roundabout trip involving changing tubes four times. We then got a little lost when trying to find the race and we missed the start. David and I went for a run round the path ways and this was really good as most of it was on dirt track, although I found it hard I felt much better for doing this. We then found the windmill cafe which is where the Wimbeldon Park runners go for coffee after. The race director was still there sorting out the tokens and I got Julie to take a photo of us to prove that I had made the effort to get to a park run though I know I can’t count it in my race to 50. We have a lovely morning having a second breakfast in the sunshine at Wimbeldon before we head back. The rest of the afternoon I chill in the hotel and lay my kit our ready for tomorrow. Sat evening I head out to meet up with Mabeth, Jaz and Tess, get lost but eventually meet up with them and have a lovely relaxing evening and am back full and tucked up in bed by 10. I run through my race day plan in my head a few times. This seems to be keeping my nerves at bay and I am quite relaxed, just two things worry me a little, breakfast, no porridge available and getting to the start, once there I’m sure i’ll be ready.

No comments: